General Employment Policy

Applicants who are not non-local graduates but possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in the HKSAR may apply to come to work under the General Employment Policy.

  1. An application for a visa/ entry permit to take up employment under the General Employment Policy may be favourably considered if:
    1. there is no security objection and no known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant;
    2. the applicant has a good education background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, but in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence may also be accepted;
    3. there is a genuine job vacancy;
    4. the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or working experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and
    5. the remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the HKSAR.
  2. Overseas Chinese nationals holding People's Republic of China passports who meet the criteria stipulated above and normal immigration requirements may apply to enter the HKSAR for employment under the General Employment Policy if:
    1. the applicant has permanent residence overseas; or
    2. the applicant has been residing overseas for at least one year immediately before the submission of application ("overseas" means countries or territories outside the Mainland, the Macao SAR and the HKSAR) and that the application is submitted from overseas.
  3. This employment policy does not apply to:
    1. Chinese residents of the Mainland; and
    2. nationals of Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Nepal and Vietnam.

For detailed information, please refer to the following links of the Immigration Department of Hong Kong: